Career opportunities in a growing industry
You could earn a living in a healthy, outdoor environment doing something you love, that brings joy and pleasure to other people. How much better can it get?
People with gardening skills are in demand
Horticulture is a huge sector offering many job opportunities:
- There are over 20,000 searches on Google every month for a gardener or garden designer1 .
- As a gardener you could earn up to £15-£45 per hour2 .
- As a garden designer you could earn up to £50 per hour.
- There is growing recognition of the importance of public parks and green spaces to our health and wellbeing; and many people have neither the time nor expertise to maintain their private gardens.
- The industry contributes over £9 billion annually to the UK economy and employs approx. 300,000 people3 .
Choose from diverse jobs
- As a gardener or garden designer you could work for a company or set up your own business.
- You could work in private gardens, local parks, historical/botanical gardens, country parks, sports grounds, golf courses and schools.
- You could do jobs such as garden maintenance and planting, garden planning, garden design, landscape management, working in a nursery, growing and selling house plants, floriculture and offering ‘garden sitting’ services.
Our ‘Become a Gardener
’ and ‘Become a Garden Designer
’ career pathways are ideal if you wish to train for a new career. We also offer many other courses you can progress to, to further increase your employability and earning potential.
For details of our courses that could help you get these jobs, please click here
1 Source: UK Google searches April 2014.
2 Based on real charges in the London area.